Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Techmology and Its Discontents

So, like many of us, I read Chris McDougall's Born to Run and got the crazy idea that we could run ridiculous distances in a minimalist style.  Minimalist in the sense that all I need to run is the bare feet that God gave me.

The bare feet which are shod in Nike Free Run+ shoes and socks (without the insoles for greater flexibility) (the commercials ends lamely, but the rest is pretty cool) (the music can be found here).  And Champion technical shirts (from Target - inexpensive!) for when my cotton Ts began to... chafe.  And a Fuel Belt Trail Runner with multiple water bottles and pockets for my cell phone, keys, and maltodextrin-based gels (it makes me look like I have a jet pack on, or perhaps what a well-hydrated Batman might wear).  And Body Glide for where the belt chafes.  And a Garmin Forerunner 310XT with a Heart Rate Monitor so I can map my run online, get a bigger tan line on my wrist, and advertise to the world that I am a running nerd.  (I suppose I could've gotten the less expensive 305, but the 310XT has a much longer battery life - 20 hours as opposed to 10 - and I have ambitions to run ultras.  Which I'll totally do based on the awesomeness of my watch.)  And the four websites on which I log my workouts.

And the treadmill upon which I did my run today.
3.94 mi.  35 min.  8:52 pace.

Looks like I should write a book too... about maximalist running...

No comments:

Post a Comment