Monday, December 13, 2010

There's No Pace Like "Om" for the Holidays

Okay, so this post has nothing to do with the holidays whatsoever, except that it's now, during the holidays, that I've decided that I need a mantra.  For when I'm running.

Apparently, it helps to have a word or a phrase that you can repeat to yourself (in your head) (so if your mantra is "blood", you're not running down the street muttering, "blood, Blood, BLOOD") that'll allow you to escape your present circumstance and transport you away from your aching knees and into the much-vaunted and I think probably overrated "runner's high" (I mean, come on, how high are you really going to get for free?) (and frankly, I think the "high" is just a bit of cerebral hypoxia making you feel spacey).  Seeing as how namyohorengekyo is already taken, it looks like I've gotta keep looking.

My friend Orrine had offered to let me use hers, but I'm afraid I've already forgotten what it is, and mantras are probably a bit like mnemonics, it's best when you come up with your own.

Like, I was going to try using "Obama, Biden, Obama, Biden," but I guess that one's my wife's.

Another Run on the Former Train Tracks by my House and Then Down to the Park
5.01 mi.  43 min.  8:38 pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment